SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#40392 - 08/01/02 05:53 AM Midwest "Midwest Technics Forum Bash" is now history
Arthur R. Jacobs Offline

Loc: Alma, Michigan, 48801 USA
Grandpa Doug Dean & Uncle Art Jacobs recently set a new record for constant Keyboard Playing in Alma, Michigan, as many local residents cheered them on. July 29-30-and 31, was the dates for this "Swinging Safari." The event was so successful, that plans are in the works for future "get togethers" with an expanded format. ARJ was quoted as saying the Grandpa Doug understood and played the Technics KN-6500 so well, that he must have been in on the design of the instrument. Due to the constant playing, drinking, eating, and touring, little time was left for sleeping. Ruthie and Katie agreed that their two men were out of this world in their efforts to entertain all of Central Michigan. Only 280 miles seperate these Forum Members, and with the beautiful weather, the trip was a "breeze," according to Mr. Douglas Dean. Also Mr. Twinkle Fingers Dean has promised to expand on this thread with moore details for your enjoyment, so until then, you all keep reading and playing, you hear. ARJ reporter for The Alma Journal................

#40393 - 08/01/02 02:47 PM Re: Midwest "Midwest Technics Forum Bash" is now history
Bud Whipple Offline

Loc: The Plantation, Leesburg, Flor...
I haven't been around Alma territory for about eight years now, but at last count they had more cows than residents. My cousin bought some land out there, but it's a little "too country" for me. Still, it's a great thing you do and I hope it turns into an annual mooo-ving event. Maybe when I get up for a visit to Ypsilanti I can run over and give a listen.

#40394 - 08/02/02 07:41 AM Re: Midwest "Midwest Technics Forum Bash" is now history
Arthur R. Jacobs Offline

Loc: Alma, Michigan, 48801 USA
Bud: Thank for your posting, and know you will be received with a high priority anytime you are in the Alma area. Stange how we humans view things differently. Soon after Doug and Ruthie arrived here, they asked me the following question. Art why didn't we see any cows around here, we noticed hardly any in the fields after entering Michigan. All you seen were cows, and all they didn't see was cows. Only thing I can tell you guy's for sure is: Michigan does have its share of cows and bulls, and we got plenty of that product they produce also. (I mean milk of course ha ha) I also know no four people never had a better time than we did.......ARJ

#40395 - 08/03/02 08:30 PM Re: Midwest "Midwest Technics Forum Bash" is now history
Douglas Dean Offline

Loc: Prospect Heights IL USA
I’ll try.
I’ll try again.
I’ll try again to try.
I’ll try again to try again.

Three days have passed after three days.
Three days have passed after three days that seem to be like a dream.

This is the fourth time I have tried to pen some of my thoughts. Lets see what stumbles off the end of my fingers. Hitherto I start but find my mind drifting away to memory land with no words.

Yes, not only did we try to wear out Arts keyboard, we tried to see if we could blow the grills off his speaker system. After we took the wraps off the board Art asked what I thought of his sound system while he threw the switches open. I said Art, how can I tell with your jaw going up and down at that fast rate of speed? Man, can that boy talk. This guy Art has got it figured out. His computer stuff is all nicely arranged on one wall. Turn to your right and there is the music wall complete with his KN, sound system, nice cabinets for all his music, cases for his disks all organized to the pinnacle of perfection. Slide from the computer throne on to the music throne. Don’t get any better than that. Katie, oh that katie. What a smile. When she chuckles a little inflection floats up and out her mouth that spellbinds even an old grown boy like me. It even tickles Ruthie when she watches me when Katie offers that little twinkly laugh. No wonder Art’s got that spark of boy in his manor. Tuesday, one by one people came drifting into the music room. The couch got packed, the chairs filled and I swear I don’t know where Katie resurrected all those chairs but she did. The Mason complex Art has a home on is massive. The guy that plays the big Rogers organ for church and the organ and piano for the dances and festivities in the auditorium was there. Between Art and me the place got a swinging. When I was playing I got into a little gospel, like Amen and This Old House. That KN gots some lowdown gospel in it. Well anyhow after Amen this organ guy stood up, walked over to me and said - Move over son, I can’t stand it anymore, my fingers is a itching and I just gotta have me some of this. After he finally drifted back into this world he glanced up and looked at the clock. The color oozed out of his face as he mumbled I should have been at my appointment fifteen minutes ago. I can’t believe it and with that he charged out to his car and disappeared down the road. We all looked at our watches and decided some dinner might be in order. Everybody scattered back to where they came from and Art with Katie under his arm and Grandpa Doug with his Ruthie under his, went out to dinner. And what a dinner.

Wednesday morning Art had Katie make breakfast for us all. Wasn’t that considerate of Art. Art is so generous with Katie's skills. The plan was to leave after breakfast. One thing led to another and we finally finished punishing Arts board a little after noon. Good-buys are always a hard one for Ruthie and me. I told Art it seems like I had known him and Katie all my life. Kind of a strange feeling, don’t know if I ever experienced that before. Anyway that’s the way it was.

Oh, by the way, never seen a Cow on the way home until about ten miles into Indiana.

Grandpa Doug with copilot Ruthie at his side

#40396 - 08/04/02 08:54 PM Re: Midwest "Midwest Technics Forum Bash" is now history
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi all, this is Arts Grandson in Florida

I just wanted to pop in and thank Mr "Twinkle Fingers Dean" for sharing his time, talent, and friendship with my Grandfather. I know he had a wonderful time during your visit and I only wish that I lived closer so that I could have stopped in for a listen.

Keep Jammin Grandpa

Love,
Todd

PS. I hope that I am this active with my organ when I am in my 80's

#40397 - 08/05/02 06:48 AM Re: Midwest "Midwest Technics Forum Bash" is now history
Douglas Dean Offline

Loc: Prospect Heights IL USA
Todd,

You got one cool grandpa!

#40398 - 08/05/02 05:36 PM Re: Midwest "Midwest Technics Forum Bash" is now history
Bud Whipple Offline

Loc: The Plantation, Leesburg, Flor...
Grandpa Doug, I hope Uncle Art served you up some of that famous Michigan sweet corn-on-the-cob! Theres something about the soil composition in that area that makes the corn the best tasting ears in the world! After ears of corn swimming in melted butter, you're ready to tackle salmon steaks from the AuSable River or fresh smelt from Lake St. Claire grilled on an open flame. Big fresh tomatoes from Katie's garden on home grown lettuce, and you're talking paradise. Now, if it wasn't for those long winters....

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online